Trainee Research Awards Recognize the three best posters and the three best short oral talk presentations. Supported by SSR.
SSR Trainee Research Awards – Platform Competition. New This Year! There will be two platform competitions; one for Pre-Doctoral Finalists and one for Post-Doctoral finalists:
Post-Doctoral finalists will present on Saturday, July 11th at 10:30AM. Pre-Doctoral finalists will present on Saturday, July 11th at 1:30PM. The Awards Committee will select a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winner in each category (Pre-Doctoral and Post-Doctoral). The SSR Pre-Doctoral Platform Awards are supported by Dr. T. Rajendra Kumar through the Makowski Family Endowment at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus.
SSR Trainee Research Awards – Poster Competition will include separate categories for Pre-Doctoral trainees and Post-Doctoral trainees. Poster finalists will present during one of the three Poster Sessions:
- Friday July 10, 8:00-10:00AM
- Saturday, July 11, 8:00-10:00AM
- Sunday, July 12, 8:00-10:00AM
The Awards Committee will select a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winner in each category (Pre-Doctoral and Post-Doctoral).
Trainees named as Finalists for a Trainee Research Award Competition (either Poster or Oral) may also be selected to receive either a Lalor Foundation Merit Award or a USDA–NIFA–AFRI Merit Award.
- The candidate must be an SSR Traineewhose membership dues are paid and mentor's signature is on file in the SSR Business Office by the abstract submission deadline February 17, 2020.
- The candidate must not have won an SSR Trainee Research Award (1st, 2nd, or 3rd place; Platform or Poster) at the previous SSR Annual Meeting).
- The candidate may be a predoctoral trainee, a postdoctoral trainee who has completed a doctoral degree within four years prior to the submission deadline, or a physician-scientist who is currently in a mentored research training program.
- The candidate must be submitting an abstract for presentation at the Annual Meeting.
- The abstract must be based on work performed primarily by the candidate (presenter) for the award
Follow these steps while submitting the abstract online:
- Select “Call for Abstract”
- Select “I am a Trainee”
- Select “SSR Trainee Merit Award”
- Then select “SSR Trainee Research Award”
The Awards Committee evaluates all abstracts entered in competition for Trainee Research Awards according to the following criteria:
- Clarity of abstract and the title
- Innovation (technical, conceptual)
- Scientific rigor in study design and analysis
- Overall impact of the work
The Committee selects six finalists per each category (predoctoral/ postdoctoral) to compete for best oral presentation and six finalists per each category (predoctoral/ postdoctoral) for best poster presentation. Finalists are notified by e-mail.
Platform Finalists - Finalists will be scheduled for presentation during two separate sessions. Post-Doctoral finalists will present on Saturday, July 11th at 10:30AM. Pre-Doctoral finalists will present on Saturday, July 11th at 1:30PM. The order of presentation in each session will be randomly assigned.
Poster Finalists – Finalists may also be chosen for Flash Talks and will present their posters during one of the regular poster sessions. Poster finalists will be identified during the poster sessions with a blue ribbon.
The criteria for final evaluation of the presentations are:
- Merit of the study
- Presentation format
- Visual aids
- Response to questions during discussion
The Awards Committee determines the First- (USD $500), Second- (USD $300), and Third- (USD $200) place winners in each category (Pre-Doctoral and Post-Doctoral); the recipients are recognized at a special ceremony at the Annual Meeting.